top of page

About Shōon-ji Temple

57 Kiri.jpg

This temple is located in a quiet temple in the center of Togo, located on the outskirts of Fukui City, Fukui Prefecture.

There is no main gate, only a stone monument indicating the name of the temple, so it is difficult to find the entrance even if you walk along the road in front of it.

There is a parking lot on the west side of the main hall, and there is a parking lot across the road.TokkurikenThere is a delicious restaurant called ``. Many locals mistakenly think that this parking lot is Tokkuriken's parking lot. (Customers of Tokkuriken can also use it freely without any restrictions.)

We have placed small signs (pictured above) in front and in the parking lot so that people can recognize that it is Shōonji Temple. (^ ^;


As an effort to pass on tradition,TeKuno memorial serviceYadera CafeShow-On G Chabou”, we hope that this will be a new opportunity for you to encounter Buddhism.

History of Shōon-ji Temple

honorable history

Rennyo Shonin, the eighth head of the Jodo Shinshu Honganji sect, who fled from Yoshizaki to Kyoto due to the uprising of the Ikko Ikki, was sent down to Echizen by Toshikage Asakura, the lord of Echizen Prefecture, on the condition that he build a temple in Ichijodani. He made a request, but the jounin did not listen, considering the surrounding situation.
However, in 1476, the Shonin decided to make a close relative of his as a Buddhist priest by marrying Renji (son of Eizon), the grandson of Shu Kaku Genshin, the third son of the fifth head of the Jodo Shinshu Honganji sect, Shonin Kenyo. was appointed to the position of Gobo.
From Toshikage onwards, the Asakura clan served as their protector for generations, and for a period of 100 years between five generations until the Asakura clan's downfall, the post of gobo was held by three successive generations: Hasumi, Shinkatsu, and Yusei.
Later, after the Sengoku period, Lord Hideichi Hasegawa was appointed as the lord of Togo Castle, and he moved the temple base to the castle grounds, calling it ``Yoshizaki Removed Gobo.'' The Gobo land is currently listed as No. 1 Orihashi, 62 Tochiizumi-cho, Fukui City, and is still called Goboda.
Until modern times, its location was communicated by a marker post, and it is said that paving stones and foundation stones thought to be the remains of a well were laid all over about 50 cm underground.
It is said that the hall was moved to its current location about 13 years later.
Hidemasa Hori, who became the lord of the castle of Kitanosho in 1590, was especially devoted to the Shinshu sect, and donated Gobo land to the cadastral register in Yanagimachi, Kitanosho, and received it from the Jodo Shinshu Honganji sect. The 11th head priest, Kennyoshi Shonin, appointed Zenchin of Shogenji as the guardian of the temple grounds.
After Hidemasa Hori died of illness in 1590, his eldest son, Hideharu Hori, carried on his father's wishes and built a hall in the Yanagimachi Gobo area, which became Yanagimachi Gobo and became Fukui Betsuin.
This resulted in the creation of two Gobo temples, and Togo Gobo became a separate temple without a temple name.
Therefore, Junnyo Shonin, the 12th head priest of the Jodo Shinshu Honganji sect, gave Togo Gobo, which had become a branch temple, the temple name ``Shoon-ji'' and gave it the status of ``Inke.''
In other words, this is why Shōonji Temple is said to be the successor of Yoshizaki Gobo and the predecessor of Fukui Betsuin Temple.



Bunmei 8th year (1476)

After the Yoshizaki Gobo was burnt down, Lord Toshikage Asakura appointed Renji, a close relative of Rennyo Shonin, as a priest and built a Gobo in Shinmachi, Ichijo Castle.

Tensho 12 (1584)

Relocated to Togo Castle under the order of Lord Hidekazu Hasegawa.

Keicho 2nd year (1597)

Moved to current cadastral location

Meiwa 3 (1776)

Burnt down during the era of the 9th Hohide.

Meiwa 7 (1770)


Ansei 2 (1855)

Burnt down

Ansei 5 (1858)

Reconstruction (current main hall)

Showa 19 (1944)

Temple bells and other items were donated under the National General Mobilization Law.


Cast a temple bell.

1948 (Showa 23)

The bell tower collapsed during the Great Fukui Earthquake, and the main hall and vault were damaged.


Reconstruction of bell tower


Main hall major restoration

2007 (Heisei 19)

Warehouse renovation work

2016 (Heisei 28)May 3rd

Techno memorial service first year 2022

August 11, 2022

temple cafe"Show-on G Chabou" opens


Past chief priests

First generation Hasumi

Great-grandson of the 5th head of the Honganji school, Kenyo Shonin.

​Ishida Saikoji Eternal Eldest Son

Mother is Rennyo Shonin's sister Nyoyuni

2nd generation Shinkatsura
3rd generation Yusei
4th generation super sky

The temple name of Shōon-ji Temple is granted.

5th Generation Super Good
6th generation Jakuso
7th generation Jakuei
8th generation Jakuhide
9th Norihide
Teenager Motohide
11th generation Hirone
Hiroaki 12th

13th Hironobu Asakura

Zenshoji Temple, Shimonoda, Sabae CityEntering the temple

Boshu(Maruoka Town Jooji TempleThan)

14th generation Akinori Asakura

Dispatched to India and Australia for religious inspection in preparation for overseas teaching.

laterOtani expeditionaccompany

book"Qing country travelogue

650th memorial service for Saint Shinranstrive to

monk (Fukui City TairaRiding templeThan)

15th Masanobu Asakura

Boshu   Mitsuko (Echizen City Yotokuji TempleThan[Yotokuji homepage])

16th generation Narinobu Asakura

Boshu Nyoe (Jorenji Temple, Hamada City, Shimane PrefectureThan)

17th Yukinobu Asakura

techno lawInventing and working on the key points

Kazuyo Bomori (from the Maehara family in Fukui City)

​Kazuyo is “Temple Cafe Show-on G Chabou” opened

bottom of page